Re: Debian based GNU/Solaris: pilot program

Matthew Garrett wrote:
Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:

At the time of writing, I assumed "GNU/Solaris" implied they'd use the
GNU libc (so I didn't even ask them about it).

Having downloaded their preview ISO:

The system is using Solaris's C library, but contains a great deal of
GPLed material. When I queried this, I was told

"Our reading of the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) tells us
that we are fully compliant. Sun libc is exempt simply because it is
(quote from GPL, Section 3) 'normally distributed (in either source or
binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel...'."

I've pointed out that the rest of that sentence rules out that line of
argument, but haven't received a response yet.

Here's the 2nd part of the answer: