Re: device nodes with udev?

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
>> The main offender is ptys -- I use udev for my devices, and normally
>> /dev/pts gets used for ptys, but with the new kernel there were suddenly
>> about 10 zillion old-style pty-related device nodes -- /dev/[pt]ty[a-z][0-9]
>
> So tell the kernel team to stop enabling CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS.

I presume that default kernels need legacy ptys to support older systems
that don't use udev, right?

What about disabling them by default in udev (as you illustrate below),
but leave the driver in the default kernel for those with an existing
static /dev that need them?

> cat <<END > /etc/udev/rules.d/000_my.rules
> KERNEL=="pty[a-z]*", NAME= ""
> KERNEL=="ram[0-9]*", NAME= ""
> END

I'll do that, thanks.

-miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research