Re: real-i386 (was Re: i386 requalification for etch

> * Nathanael Nerode:
>
> > In gcc-3.4 and gcc-4.0, these functions have been replaced with
out-of-line
> > functions, implemented in libstdc++.
>
> Do these out-of-line functions avoid the LOCK prefix overhead on
> non-SMP systems or, at least, non-threaded programs (for example,
> using some dynamic linker magic)?
No.  Feel free to submit changes upstream; it's a good idea.  I think you'd
have to get multilib builds working properly for libstdc++ on x86.  The
multilibbing scheme in gcc is somewhat confusing to me (despite doing some
work on it), but if you can grok it, go for it.  It's probably better
understood by porters for arches where multilibbing is already used by
default.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

"(Instead, we front-load the flamewars and grudges in
the interest of efficiency.)" --Steve Lanagasek,