Re: [Fwd: major problem with gnome-games dependency]

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 02:26:04AM -0400, Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-devel@pipeline.com> was heard to say:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 12:34:21PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 08:32:35PM +0200, "Steinar H. Gunderson" <sgunderson@bigfoot.com> was heard to say:
> > > Would it help having our metapackages use all Recommends instead of Depends?
> >
> >   No, because people like to turn off the installation of recommendations
> > and then file bugs when major functionality is missing from packages :-/.
> >
> >   Daniel
> Hi DDs,
> I was thinking of a feature that would show 'recommends' but add a line
> line explaining what installing package X would add to the currently
> selected package. It would be helpful for the users to know that.
>
> Not every users is a guru and has hours on-end to figure out how
> packages are related. It would be a great user help to see a bit of info
> so that when you install/upgrade some app says 'hey if you want this
> feature, install foo'.
>
> Although I'm not sure which app(frontend: synaptic,aptitude,..)
> should/could add this feature. here would be possible output:

  There's a much simpler approach to this problem, which is to explain
recommendations and suggestions in the package's description.  Some
packages do this already, but I don't think there's even a
recommendation one way or the other (e.g., in the best practices
documents).

  Daniel