Re: localhost.localdomain

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 12:44:34PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> No, they won't, because INN ignores hostnames that do not contain a period
> for the purposes of generating external identifiers, specifically to keep
> from using things like localhost or other unqualified names that aren't
> globally unique.  Adding the pointless .localdomain thing breaks that sort
> of simple sanity check.

Hmm, how would INN react if it sees a "normal-looking" name (like
foo.bar.com) that in turn resolves to 127.0.0.1? It's been a long time
since I last run a news server and I used Diablo instead of INN so I'm
not familiar with INN's internals. But it seems INN is relying on a
broken heuristics...

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences