Re: Circular testing excuses for swt-gtk and swingwt

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:02:59AM -0600, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> I am trying to help move swt-gtk into testing. The excuses [1] for
> swingwt, which depends on swt-gtk, says...

> * swingwt is waiting for swt-gtk
> 	* Updating swt-gtk makes 2 depending packages uninstallable on arm:
> libswingwt0, swingwt-demo

> These excuses seem to be circular between swingwt and swt-gtk. Why
> does updating swt-gtk make swingwt uninstallable on arm?

Because unless otherwise hinted by the release team, source packages are
considered for testing one at a time, and the binary package names for
swt-gtk changed from libswt-gtk3* to libswt-gtk-3.1*.  So updating swt-gtk
removes the library that swingwt depends on.

> To aggravate the matter, swingwt is failing to build on three architectures:
> 	alpha: unmet dependencies: libswt-gtk-3.1 (= 3.0+3.1M4-5)
> 	hppa: gcj 4.0.1 ICE (internal compiler error)
> 	sparc: unmet dependencies: libswt-gtk-3.1 (= 3.1-1)

> Both alpha and sparc have now built libswt-gtk-3.1 (= 3.1-2), so those
> two unmet dependencies errors should go away I hope.

They probably will, but there's not much sense in having them retry the
build unless hppa is also fixed, since you would just need to make another
upload for hppa.

Cheers,