Re: How to prevent a library transition

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:

> That would work for the library issue, and would "only" makes some
> packages FTBFS because tetex changed (but I can think we can live with
> that). Even better, if you do it right, you can change the
> libkpathsea-dev to libkpathsea4-dev if TeTeX-3.0 has reached testing,

I don't understand - do you mean that I change the name from
libkpathsea4-dev to libkpathsea-dev, or that not *me*, but the depending
packages' maintainers will change their build-dep from libkpathsea-dev
to libkpathsea4-dev?

> and then the depending programs will slowly flow in (and that library
> transition wouldn't be as blocking as a normal one).

If my second interpretation is right, we depend on maintainers' action
for that.  In order to make all dependencies on the old version
disappear, would a "still depends on libkpathsea3" bug be RC?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich