Re: a place for a package directory in root

Hello Adeodato,

Adeodato Simó <asp16@alu.ua.es> wrote:
> * Joerg Sommer [Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:51:16 +0000]:
>
>> > Do it and get enough things to use it. Then there is no stopping you.
>
>> Well, I add /run/ to the directories of my package and mount a tmpfs
>> there on startup. But I leave it mounted after exit, because I don't know
>> if someone else use it.
>
>> Any objections?
>
>   Only, if you implement this in your package, which is an init
>   replacement, what about other packages that may need this in the
>   future (or that are currently using /dev/shm when we'd rather they
>   didn't)?

It seems there is a misunderstanding. bootchart is a shell script that is
started as init (kernel prompt init=/sbin/bootchart), which then forks
the real init to start the real boot process. While init does its work
bootchart collects some data about cpu load and hard disk usage, and
(now) writes them to /run. After the boot process has ended, bootchart
packs the data, stores them in a file in the real filesystem and quits.

After the boot process there might be processes they rely on a mounted
/run, because bootchart can't unmount it. But we need it before init is
started, becaus we want to watch init what it does.

Regards, Jörg.
--
Da würde ich auch lieber den Panzerführerschein machen als den MCSE.
Bringt mehr, dürfte das gleiche kosten und macht sicher mehr Spaß.