Re: Using buildds only

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 09:23:59AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Goswin von Brederlow [2005-08-23 21:54 +0200]:
> > You have to keep the chroot up-to-date manualy anyway as sbuild does
> > not upgrade unless a Build-Depends requires a newer version
> > specificaly.
>
> That's not true for Ubuntu's buildds, they are upgraded daily. I guess
> with the amount of new compilers that were uploaded in the last weeks,
> there is no other choice anyway.
>
> I'm surprised how Debian can get away without doing that. So buildd
> admins need to manually watch for toolchain updates and install them?

Well, yes and no. As said, the toolchain does get updated by direct and
indirect dependencies without manual intervention. It's just in cases
where things break that updates *have* to be done manually (such as with
glibc 2.5.3-3, or the recent switch to gcc 4.0). Other than that, a
buildd chroot will not usually contain libraries that are more than a
few weeks (if that much) out of date IME.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond