Re: Will the amd64 port be rejected because of the 98% rule?

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:13:35AM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> On 05-Aug-21 03:58, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > - must have successfully compiled 98% of the archive's source (excluding
> >   arch-specific packages)

> It is not possible to build 98% of the unmodified source packages from
> the 'unstable' distribution. This is true for any port including i386.

> For the current 'unstable' distribution it is not even possible to build
> 90% of the unmodified source packages because of the ongoing transitions
> and the high number of FTBFS bugs.

Yes, which isn't really a porter problem.  The result is that it will be
rather difficult for a while to *measure* how well ports are keeping up, so
there's probably just no sense in trying to until things cool down in
unstable.

> I followed the 'unstable' distribution since the beginning of 2004
> with private buildds on different architectures and I recreated the
> complete 'unstable' distribution many times from scratch by rebuilding
> every package. It was hardly ever possible to build more than 95%
> of the unmodified source packages from 'unstable' at any given point in
> time, even when the number of FTBFS bugs was much lower than it is now.

> I understand that the amd64 port has to be recompiled for the
> final inclusion into the official archive because the current amd64
> packages have not been built by DDs. But currently more than 10% of
> the unmodified source packages from 'unstable' FTBFS. It will likely
> take many months, if not years, for amd64 to get anywhere near to the
> requested 98% mark again.

> Will the amd64 port be rejected if more than two percent of the
> unmodified source packages from 'unstable' fail to compile?

The amd64 port would be held to this standard just like all of the others.
I don't think this should actually pose a problem for a port with a
committed porter team; Debian has a proud history of sourceful porter NMUs,
after all.