Re: Will the amd64 port be rejected because of the 98% rule?

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 06:59:52AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
>> Andreas Jochens writes:
>> Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> > - must have successfully compiled 98% of the archive's source (excluding
>> >   arch-specific packages)
>
>> Andreas Jochens writes:
>> > It is not possible to build 98% of the unmodified source packages from
>> > the 'unstable' distribution. This is true for any port including i386.
>
>> Make it 98% of the packages buildable on the accepted port with the highest
>> build percentage.
>
>> How was 98% arrived at?
>
> It's an arbitrary line, but then, any such line would have to be drawn at an
> arbitrary point.  Requiring 100% is unrealistic, because it would give
> porters a perverse incentive to argue for per-architecture exclusion of
> packages; relaxing the percentage to a lower number gives us the situation
> we had in sarge, where too much time was spent waiting on one architecture
> or another for updates to testing.
>
> I certainly think that the metric needs to take into account
> Packages-arch-specific.  None of the statistics we have available today are
> quite right; I think they're all either "percent built of all packages this
> arch has ever built", which doesn't account for archs not keeping up with
> new packages, or "percent built of all packages we have source for", which
> penalizes ports unnecessarily for the upload of non-portable sources.

They also contain removed packages, non-free packages that should
be arch specific (but nobody cares because they aren't autobuild
anyway) and Not-for-us packages. I think even P-a-s packages.

Doing a count yourself you can get >10% divergence from the buildd.d.o
stats depending what you count exactly.

So before any line should be drawn someone should define a correct
counting method and generate at least a month worth of stats to see
what would be a reasonable first try for a line.

> --
> Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
> Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
> vorlon@debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/

MfG
        Goswin