Intermediate Web Development on Debian

The boss just asked me if I could write a web application that would…

* ... allow for our client's fund managers to report their fund Net asset values. (NB: These managers have different reporting schedules: daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly)

* ...keep track of each managers schedule, and reporting requirements.

* ... provide a few screens to allow for efficient data entry.

* ... store the entered NAVS

* ... produce a handful of reports: NAV reports, daily update reports, manager reporting history reports, etc.

* ... allow for basic user security

I've just installed sarge on a pc here at work. And i'm hoping to do the development on Debian.

-- My Background --

* Relatively new to Linux

* Implemented an Apache/Twiki server

* Some experience with Perl, SQL, ASP

* GNUEmacs

-- Technology Requirements --

* Relatively quick development time

* Linux-based

* Allow for automated unit testing

-- Technology Candidates --

* MySQL or MSoft SQL

* Perl CGI

* PHP

* FastCGI

* ColdFusion

* ASP

* Javalets

I’m going to review the above technologies… might anybody have any other suggested development suites? IDEs? Recommended books? Other recommendations?

Thanks