Re: executable files in examples?

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 08:51:31PM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:

 > I reported my wish #281892 to have a file in examples executable to
 > make it possible to create a symlink on it that is placed in the
 > PATH. Or that is to say I would like to have the file
 > bogominitrain.pl in examples executable to symlink on it from ~/bin/.
 > This way I have always the up to date version (in contrast to copying
 > the file).

$ cat > ~/bin/foo
#!/bin/sh

perl /usr/share/pkg/examples/foo.pl "$*"

$ chmod +x ~/bin/foo

 That said, I guess I don't think it's sane to define policy for
 something like this.  Some scripts are really not meant to be generally
 useful and instead serve only as an example.  On the other hand, if you
 want to provide precompiled versions of some program, for which you are
 also providing source in the documentation, you can install the
 binaries in /usr/lib/pkg and link to them from /usr/share/pkg/examples
 (per 10.7.3).

 My guess (I won't go near bogofilter, that dog ate my homework once
 already) is that the script isn't generally useful and upstream doesn't
 want to maintain a generally useful script with that functionality.  If
 you really want to have a non-maintained non-supported script in your
 path, do as I suggest above.

--
Marcelo