Re: Packaging a PostScript resource

Scripsit Alexander Schmehl <alexander@schmehl.info>

> And actually I fail to see what the benefit is of having a small
> postscript document showing me something about barcodes as a debian
> package?  Or am I missing something?  The package I just took a
> quick view at just contains a postscript file, nothing more.

As far as understood the poster, the ps file contains a generic
Postscript library for drawing barcodes.

Unfortunately, in addition to the library, the file also contains a
page description for a test/demo page. This makes it unreasonably
difficult for generators of postscript to just include it in their
prologue, because they would need ad hoc code to cut away the test
page.

I can see some use for a common Postscript library *in principle*.  It
*might* be more straightforward to use in some applications than
running barcode (q.v.) and processing the resulting EPS file. However,
I am not convinced that it should be packaged separately until we have
applications that actually do something useful with the library.

--
Henning Makholm                          "I tried whacking myself repeatedly
                                     with the cluebat. Unfortunately, it was