Re: does gs needs to depend on gsfonts, or could it use ttf fonts maybe?

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 03:17:47AM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Miernik]
> > gs-common package depends on gsfonts package, what if I don't want to
> > use these Type 1 fonts at all, and would purge the gsfonts package.
> > Would GS work with TTF fonts which are on my system instead?
>
> gs is a PostScript interpreter.  The PostScript language spec requires
> a specific set of 14 fonts to be present.

Can you list these 14 fonts, which of these 35 fonts are "the 14
required"?

szrenica:~$ fc-list | sort | grep -v DejaVu
Century Schoolbook L:style=Bold
Century Schoolbook L:style=Bold Italic
Century Schoolbook L:style=Italic
Century Schoolbook L:style=Roman
Dingbats:style=Regular
Nimbus Mono L:style=Bold
Nimbus Mono L:style=Bold Oblique
Nimbus Mono L:style=Regular
Nimbus Mono L:style=Regular Oblique
Nimbus Roman No9 L:style=Medium
Nimbus Roman No9 L:style=Medium Italic
Nimbus Roman No9 L:style=Regular
Nimbus Roman No9 L:style=Regular Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold Condensed
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold Condensed Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Condensed
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Condensed Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Italic
Standard Symbols L:style=Regular
URW Bookman L:style=Demi Bold
URW Bookman L:style=Demi Bold Italic
URW Bookman L:style=Light
URW Bookman L:style=Light Italic
URW Chancery L:style=Medium Italic
URW Gothic L:style=Book
URW Gothic L:style=Book Oblique
URW Gothic L:style=Demi
URW Gothic L:style=Demi Oblique
URW Palladio L:style=Bold
URW Palladio L:style=Bold Italic
URW Palladio L:style=Italic
URW Palladio L:style=Roman
szrenica:~$

> (Whether they are Type 1 or Type 2 or Type 42 doesn't really matter.)
> If a document wants to use other fonts, it normally has to embed them,
> but any PostScript document can freely assume that the standard fonts
> will be present.
>
> So tell us.  Is gs able to determine from among your TrueType fonts
> which ones might have faces and metrics similar enough to the standard
> PostScript ones to be substituted?  Can it do this on any system with
> any mix of TrueType fonts?  Are you sure?

szrenica:~$ fc-list | sort | grep Deja
DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Bold
DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=BoldOblique
DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed
DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Oblique
DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold
DejaVu Sans Mono:style=BoldOb
DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Oblique
DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Roman
DejaVu Sans:style=Bold
DejaVu Sans:style=BoldOblique
DejaVu Sans:style=Book
DejaVu Sans:style=Oblique
DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Bold
DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=BoldOblique
DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed
DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Oblique
DejaVu Serif:style=Bold
DejaVu Serif:style=BoldOblique
DejaVu Serif:style=Oblique
DejaVu Serif:style=Roman
szrenica:~$

I am not proposing to drop the gsfonts dependency completely, but I
would like to be changed to "gsfonts | ttf-dejavu" if possible. If some
other fonts would meet the criteria of the 14-font Postscript standard,
these could be added as alternatives too.

--
Miernik             _________________________  xmpp:miernik@amessage.info