Re: dummy packages and "Replaces:" field

[Eric Cooper]
> Since there should be a unique replacement that old and new package
> maintainer(s) agree on, I think the old package (the one being
> replaced) should have the header.  (Perhaps "Replaced-By:" ?)

The whole point of the exercise was to get rid of dummy packages.
Your proposal requires one.

Which is not to say there is no merit in a package tag or field that
says "this exists only to suck in dependencies, so when it has served
this purpose, delete it at leisure".  aptitude would presumably
transfer the auto-install flag state from the dummy package to anything
it depends on, then set the dummy package itself to the auto-installed
state, for garbage collection.