Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 01:43:24PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Yes, most people with Debian experience could work around this but
> > it's way beyond most desktop users that don't know what init.d is.
>
> These people probably won't be able to operate the console anyway, so
> a non-X startup isn't going to help them much.

I didn't say they would operate through console (although login in in text
mode and googling using links is not beyond desktop users) but that a non-X
startup with networking would make it possible to remotely support these
cases.

Yes, I know I can setup all the boxes I want this way. The question is: is
this feature useful enough that it can be the default? My (personal) answer
is yes and I'm not the only one answering it this way, take a look at other
OSes and you'll see the same answer again and again. In this particular
case I think the current Debian posture is wrong, not user (or sysadmin)
friendly and wouldn't take much to improve upon without forcing everybody
to find their own (sometimes flawed) solution to a very common problem.

Regards

Javier