Re: C++ ABI change for etch -- freeze unstable for all C++ libs with changed or new sonames

Le dimanche 05 juin 2005 à 18:34 +0200, Daniel Holbach a écrit :
> Hello Josselin,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 05.06.2005, 18:01 +0200 schrieb Josselin Mouette:
> > Oh, great. I forgot that Canonical's business model is to use Ubuntu as
> > an upstaging area for Debian, so that we're always lagging behind. Will
> > the next development decisions also be taken by some Canonical staff?
>
> could you please try to discuss problems, whatever they REALLY are in a
> calm an rational way?
>
> The decisions that were taken, were discussed by not just Canonical
> employees. Did you actually check if they make sense at all? To me it
> seems to be the only reasonable thing.

The problem is that the decisions are always taken for the Ubuntu
distribution first. Then, people from Canonical or people wanting to
keep compatibility between the two distributions will always want Debian
to follow the decisions taken for Ubuntu, regardless of their technical
merit and relevance for Debian. This way, Debian ends up being lead by
Canonical, and always lagging behind.

Actually, you can just look at what happens and see this is already the
case. Many packages in Debian are lagging behind Ubuntu, and
Ubuntu-specific patches are not forwarded to Debian maintainers,
regardless of the declarations. You can also see that the only
architectures supposed not to be dropped from testing in the Vancouver
proposal are the architectures Ubuntu supports. Is it a coincidence? I'd
like to think so.

I'm not saying that for this particular decision, it wasn't the right
thing to do. I'm questioning the independence of the project as a whole
for important technical decisions. Debian has always been superior
because we used to take the time to evaluate solutions and keep the best
one, technically speaking. If we merely follow Ubuntu, decisions won't
be only based on technical merits, but also on political and economical
ones.