Re: Debian Java in Sarge

Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:16:47 -0400,
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:39:33PM +0200, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>>
>> 3 Future
>>
>>     * fix the Debian Java Policy;
>>     * update the Debian Java FAQ;
>>     * more packages to pkg-java;
>>     * every packages to cdbs;
> <SNIP>
>
> Why cdbs?  I was under the impression that many people disliked/wer
> uncomfortable with it because of the complex way in which it employs
> makefiles.  Wouldn't your packages be more accessible (in terms of other
> developers being able to patch/fix bugs/etc.) in a more universal
> format?

It's been a long time I did not read d-d@l.d.o so I don't know the pros
and cons about cdbs.

With the ant class, it's really easy to package java libraries and
applications, just have a look at Alioth's project:

http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/libcommons-fileupload-java/debian/rules?rev=1.8&content-type=text/plain&cvsroot=pkg-java

Here is the debian/rules file for libcommons-fileupload-java:

#!/usr/bin/make -f
# debian/rules for Commons Fileupload (uses CDBS)

include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/ant.mk
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/simple-patchsys.mk

JAVA_HOME_DIRS       := /usr/lib/kaffe
ANT_HOME             := /usr/share/ant1.6
DEB_JARS             := servlet-2.3 /usr/share/ant1.6/lib/ant-launcher.jar
DEB_ANT_COMPILER     := jikes
DEB_ANT_BUILD_TARGET := dist

LIBRARY=commons-fileupload
VERSION=1.0