Help: Strange behaviour of ldd

Hi,

I observed a strange problem when trying to sponsor the mummer package

     http://bioinformatics.pzr.uni-rostock.de/~moeller/debian/mummer

I reduced the problem to a quite basic one.  Just go to

     http://people.debian.org/~tille/tmp/test/

and download Makefile *.cc and *.hh (only 5 files) and try make.  This builds
two executables: annotate and gaps. Now try

$ ldd annotate gaps
annotate:
         not a dynamic executable
gaps:
                 libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0xb7f19000)
         libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0xb7ef6000)
         libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x41312000)
         libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7dc1000)
         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7fea000)

I'm no C++ expert but I really fail to see the difference which causes
ldd to fail. Perhaps we should discuss this on debian-devel list.  I'm
not sure whether such things might be caused by different libraries and
you need to add a certain build dependency.

But this is not the only strange thing here.  You might by lucky and the
problem does not occure on your box.  For instance everything is fine at
my laptop and my desktop in the office.  But at home fails for annotate
and only for this one.  To verify the problem I also tried a Sparc machine
and also here ldd had the problem with annotate.  At first I thought
of a name space conflict but this did not seem to be the case.  (Renaming
the executable did not changed anything).  Moreover it doesn't matter
on which machine the executable was builded - the ldd failure is kind
of "machine-dependant" not "build-machine-dependant".

Anybody able to solve this riddle?

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--