Re: Dear Adrian Bunk, Please hold off a week or two

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 03:45:07PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > Or do you _really_ want to release sarge with many dozens of already
> > > known and fixed bugs?
> >
> > I'd worry about it more if we hadn't suffered from the same or similar
> > problems with ever previous Debian release, TBPH. Even back when we froze
> > unstable, this just pushed certian bugfixes out of the archive entirely.
>
> How can this happen whenyou freeze unstable?

I guess you will not understand at each other if you use the term
"freezing unstable" with two different meanings. I see that the term
may have at least two meanings:

* "frozen" is created initially as a copy of unstable. After this,
frozen and unstable evolve separately, unless you upload some package
for "frozen unstable", as we did in the old days. I bet Adrian would
not call this a proper freeze of unstable, as it would be the "frozen"
distribution who would be really frozen, not unstable.

* "unstable" is actually frozen, which means uploads for unstable
are either discouraged, they remain in the limbo, or they are automatically
put in some other distribution above unstable, like new-unstable, until
testing or unstable becomes the new stable.