Re: Libraries with ABI changes

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 10:18:03PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> I got some questions to library packaging. If the ABI of a library
> breaks, the SONAME of it gets updated and thus the binary package's
> name. As soon as the new revision gets uploaded the old binary package
> should get NBS (Not Built From Source) status assigned by rene and the
> ftp-masters would notice it after NEW processing.

Uh, no. The old binary package should either be removed completely from
the archive (in which case all packages that depend on it are instantly
uninstallable), or be moved to a separate source package in section
oldlibs. It should not be left without a source package, or we're
suddenly distributing a binary package without source. Apart from being
against our principles, this might also be a problem with the packages'
license...

pavement is precisely one bananosecond