Re: RFC: A new video-related section

Le Vendredi 27 Mai 2005 12:40, Philipp Kern a écrit :
> Dear Debian fellows,
>
> when does a group of packages warrant the introduction of a new
> section? At least I could request some comments without any
> obligation.
>
> I know of some users which were distracted by our "graphics" section,
> as they searched for multimedia or more precisely movie players and
> found it in this section among other programs like image editors,
> viewers and converters, actually there are also themes in it.
>
> I do not know if there were previous discussions on this topic, but
> the new section I propose would seperate media players from image
> processing tools. Plugins for those players which are currently put
> into "libs" should also be put into this new section. So it would
> probably be more "multimedia" than "video". Any thoughts on this?

multimedia seems more appropriate. most of the video player actually are
music player too, and some music player can show video with appropriate
plugins (xmms e.g.)

though, that would mean that 'sound' won't have that many package. so
maybe we should rename sound into multimedia and populate it with video
players too ?
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit