RAID and /dev advice needed

It seems as if devfs (yeah sure, deprecated) creates links such as

  /dev/md0 --> /dev/md/0
  /dev/md1 --> /dev/md/1
  [...]

These actually break mdadm: #274859 and #310412. Thus, please
consider this urgent.

My (hack) solution is to remove those symlinks and replace them with
real device nodes (hardlinks don't work). To be able to confine this
hack as close as possible to the problem it's supposed to solve,
I need to know under what circumstances such symlinks could come
into existance without devfs.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

`. `'`

the heineken uncertainty principle: