Re: [Release Notes] Use Woody's or Sarge's aptitude for upgrades?

* Adrian Bunk [Mon, 16 May 2005 18:14:20 +0200]:
> On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 05:58:24PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

> > The current version of the release notes tells users to (simplified):
> > 1. apt-get install aptitude
> > 2. change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "stable"
> > 3. aptitude update
> > 4. aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade

> > Therefore the question if it would be better to change the procedure to:
> > 1. change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "stable"
> > 2. apt-get update
> > 3. apt-get install aptitude dpkg
> > 4. aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade

> OTOH, at least in the woody installation I tried this,
> "aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade" works fine.

> It seems aptitude in woody has a better Conflicts handling than apt in
> woody making the first step easier for users.

  So, to make that clear, you're proposing the following:

    1. apt-get install aptitude
    2. change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "stable"
    3. aptitude update
    4. aptitude install aptitude dpkg
    5. aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade

  Note that in (4), the command is aptitude, not apt-get.

  BTW, why "change sources.list to point to 'stable'" instead of
  'sarge'? Probably there'll be a reason I'll love to here, but all are
  disadvantages to me, e.g.:

> > Step 1. is meant to install the Woody version of aptitude, but of course
> > it will not if the sources.list already points to "stable" and the user
> > has already done an 'apt-get update'.

  OTOH, if the original sources.list contains 'woody' and the
  instructions say to change it to 'sarge', the above does not happen,
  _plus_ the release notes work for upgrades to testing prior to
  release.

  Cheers,

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

One way to make your old car run better is to look up the price of a new model.