Re: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

Will Newton wrote:

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 17:21, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

BUt according to Christoph Hellwig, the ext3 which is the default is
used without directory indexing, which returns you to O(n).

You have yet to present any numbers which show there is a problem here.

Can we please discuss real world problems?

This is not an imaginary problem, after all, in principle.

Let's see, as I wrote before, my installation has *thousands* of files in /usr/lib and, in some filesystems, this can add up to a very large time (and ab-use of dentry cache memory) to link, say, Konqueror (which links to *hundreds* of shared objects).

Imagine that, to load Konqui, you have to go 200 times to the disk (ok, cache, but...), each of them reading the 10000 entries I have in /usr/lib, some of them twice or three times, to follow the symlinks.

This is a real inefficiency.

So, if you ask me for MHO, ext3 should be used by default *with* directory indexing. And maybe FHS should be pressed to provide something like /usr/libexec.

--
HTH
Massa