Re: /usr/lib vs /usr/libexec

Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> writes:

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 04:40:11PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
What does the default Debian install do?
Debian seems to use ext3 without directory indexing by default.
Which is a sane choice as directory indexing on ext3 still seems to
be not fully mature.

And as mentioned in another thread it's not available on ext2 at all.

So that means that, in fact, directory lookups on Debian are O(n), and
we are, in fact, subject to problems from huge directories.

As I said before, as far as I recall, the Debian installer suggested me only filesystems that have O(1) [O(log n) worst case] directory lookup. I chose reiserfs, but the installer IIRC suggested ext3 and xfs as alternatives. I will probably re-install my laptop this weekend, and then I can give you more accurate info.

HTH