Re: Should Debian use lsb init-functions?

I have been looking at the lsb init functions and am beginning to feel
that they are a bad idea.

* Converting to lsb init function requires modifying every initscript in
Debian.

* Every initscript has to read in a file containing a set of function
definitions, some/most of which the initscript does not use.

* The lsb functions don't handle all the kinds of output currently
produced by initscripts.

* Success/failure status has to be signalled using a special function,
whereas this information is (or should be) already available as the exit
status of the initscript.

I think it would be better if we simply made rc capture initscripts'
standard output (and exit status) and formatted it in such a way that
bootup messages were prettier.
--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@aglu.demon.nl>