Re: Sarge release for amd64 - Please help to fix the remaining bugs

Hello Steve,

thank you for your quick reply to my amd64 bug list.

Steve Langasek wrote:
>> libmysqlclient-lgpl -   Linuxthreads test has to be switched off for amd64
>
> I'm not going to give this a high priority, personally; all my reasons for
> adding this package in the first place have since been addressed by the
> upstream licensing fixes, so anything still using it is of fairly limited
> use (especially with the protocol incompatibilities with MySQL 4.1).

I agree with this. Applications should Build-Depend on the newer
libmysqlclient14-dev or at least libmysqlclient12-dev instead of
libmysqlclient10-dev from libmysqlclient-lgpl. This was one reason why
I did not yet file a patch for libmysqlclient-lgpl with a similar change
as the one that has been applied to the mysql-dfsg and mysql-dfsg-4.1
packages.

However, I made a mistake with respect to the importance of the
libmysqlclient-lgpl package. It was possible to build it on amd64
about a year ago when the toolchain was different. That version is
still in the current amd64 archive on alioth. But now, with the new
toolchain, it does not build on amd64 anymore.

Unfortunately, quite a few important packages still Build-Depend
on libmysqlclient10-dev:

cyrus-sasl2
cyrus-sasl2-mit
exim4
gpsdrive
ircii-pana
linesrv
motion
mp3kult
mydns
mysql-navigator
pam-mysql
pike7.2
pike7.4
pike7.6
pimppa
postfix
prokyon3
pure-ftpd
www-sql
xlc

It would certainly be a good idea to update the Build-Depends
for those packages. Ideally, the libmysqlclient-lgpl package
could be dropped entirely. But I guess it will not be possible
to fix all those Build-Depends for sarge.

I will file a patch for libmysqlclient-lgpl in a separate mail.

>> portslave        -         "pppd.h: No such file or directory"
>
> Hmm, you may want to re-check this against current versions of ppp and
> portslave.

This was a bug in sid which has been fixed recently. The fixed version
of portslave has entered sarge, but sarge has an older version of ppp,
which does not work with that fix.

Because of this, portslave has a FTBFS problem in sarge now until the
latest ppp makes it into sarge.

Again, thanks for looking at my list of amd64 related FTBFS bugs.

Regards
Andreas Jochens