Re: mplayer, the time has come

Sebastien NOEL wrote:

I have some questions about your package:

* Why the "--disable-mencoder" in debian/rules ?
my original thought was :
since  LAME is not in Debian , then 'mencoder' will not be very useful

but then some people pointed out that there are many interesting things that can
be done with mencoder that do not need LAME

so my next packaging will have 'mencoder'

*   Why the "--disable-aa" ?
   Ok caca is better than aa but it's not enabled either.

I received some e-mail from upstream authors suggesting that AA was a nice trick
but it may be removed from my packaging

anyway it seems that '-vo sdl:aa ' will work as well

*   You build libavcodec and libavformat but that seems to me a waste of time.
   FFmpeg is already in main, why not only link mplayer with
   libavcodec.a (libavcodec-dev) and libavformat.a (libavformat-dev) ?

choice of  upstream : AFAICR  a monolithic 'mplayer' improves performances

<offtopic>
btw: this is what  Linus Torvalds decided with the kernel;
methinks that a smaller kernel with a stable API for loading
other minor services (ham radio, USB gadgets , etc)
would be much better, but thats another (long) story.
And, yes , I know that linux has modules, no, I dont think that they
satisfy the above requisite: currently linux is too big and too complex
for my tastes: it takes ages to download it, configure it and compile it.
It forces distributions to: either offer a complete kernel that will
satisfy all tastes, and that is huge; or have people recompile it
(and this means, understand its myriad of options).
</offtopic>

Qestion to all DD:
Without decss, faad, lame & xvid, mplayer insn't really mplayer.

answer of 1 DD: on the other hand, without any kind of mplayer, Debian is at a loss

and there are wonderful feats that 'mplayer' that do not need : decss, faad, lame & xvid

bye

a.