Re: what is /.udev for ?

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:30:12 -0400, Maykel Moya
<maykel.moya@icc-canada.com> wrote:
> I recently realized that I had /.dev, after that, I rm -fr it what
> rendered my system unbootabled.

.dev is just a binding to the original (static) /dev/ that is created
before udev mounts it's dynamic /dev over the existing one. So if you
rm everything in /.dev you would delete everything in /dev which might
be needed at boot time before udev is initialized.

To solve your problem recreate /dev by copying it from another system,
f.e. debian boot/rescue disks, knoppix etc or simply recreate the
needing devices in /dev. AFAIR the only device needed on my system was
/dev/null.

Björn