Re: [Ipw2100-devel] debian, ipw2200 and wlan0

Oliver Kurth <okurth@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 18:45 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> Oliver Kurth <okurth@gmx.net> wrote:
>> > Naming wired network eth%d and wireless wlan%d would make things a lot
>> > easier. For example, it is easier to find out whether to start ifplugd
>> > or waproamd when the interface is created.
>> There's other (more resiliant) ways of doing that. In 2.6, wireless
>> cards will have a directory called wireless under sys/class/net/foo.
>
> I still use 2.4 as long as sound support for my cs46xx card is broken in
> 2.6. Also, I will still use 2.4 on embedded devices (yes, they use
> pcmcia cards).

In 2.4, wireless devices are listed under /proc/net/wireless.

>> It makes more sense to either bind configuration to specific cards
>> (using the mac address, for instance), or different classes of card.
>
> I know that there are other ways. But it makes things more complicated.
> Complicated things break more easily. Why not leave it simple, and just
> use an easy name scheme?

Because in order to solve the problem properly, you need to deal with
all the use cases. "I want different configuration on wireless cards and
wired cards" is a subset of the "I want different configuration
depending on which network card I'm using" problem, and it's possibly
easier to solve. But it's better to solve the general problem, rather
than attempt to impose policy on the kernel in order to make it slightly
easier to solve the simple case.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org