Re: circular dependencies and dist-upgrades sarge->woody

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> writes:

> Steve Langasek wrote:
>> > There is one case in which users can be bitten by this: when using apt-get
>> > dist-upgrade to sarge, so when documenting the woody-sarge upgrade, it should
>> > be at least mentioned that the user can run into this and should first
>> > upgrade apt to solve this problem.
>>
>> The release notes currently recommend to use aptitude, not apt-get, for
>> upgrading from woody to sarge.  Do you know if this problem also occurs with
>> woody's aptitude?
>
> It should most probably be pointed out in the release notes that
> upgrading apt-get as first package will work fine as well, unless it
> won't.  We've had a similar requirement for a former release where
> dpkg and/or apt-get needed to be updated first in order to make the
> dist-upgrade happen fine.
>
> Otherwise, it would be quite a regression that apt-get won't be
> able to handle the dist-upgrade fine anymore.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Joey

I wonder if this shouldn't be hardcoded into apt-get in some way.

How about this:

If any essential (or only apt + depends) packages are to be updated do
a run installing only the essential packages and their requirements
first. Then restart yourself adding a -y to the options.

This could be combined with a check if a lot of packages (say if it
has to break cycles into multiple dpkg calls) to avoid double runs on
day-to-day updates.

MfG
        Goswin