acpi vs apm

I have an HP Compaq NC6000 laptop and I have some problems getting it
to suspend. I am running the stock Debian 2.6.9 kernel (in the 686
variant, currently not sure whether it is version 1 or 2).

If I run apm (setting kernel parameters acpi=off and apm=on, loads the
apm module and starts apmd) I can suspend the laptop by issuing the
command "apm -s".

If I run acpi (no special kernel parameters, starting acpid which
loads a bunch of kernelmodules) I can not get it to suspend. First of
all, there does not seem to be an equivalent of "apm -s" for acpi. The
"acpi" command only reports stuff like battery status and
temperatures.

There is a file /proc/acpi/sleep but trying various values (0-5) only
one makes it blank the screen, but the power led is staedy green (it
blinks with "apm -s") and there is apparently no way to get it back to
life, other than cycling power and rebooting which kinds of defeats
the purpose of suspending :-)

So the questions goes: is this a shortcoming with the HP not being
properly supported with acpi, am I missing some command like "apm"
which is able to do what I want or is this simply acpi not really
having caught up with apm yet?

PS

Yes, I know of the swsusp but I would much prefer a solution that did
not require rebuilding the kernel as the distributed kernels (AFAIK)
does have these options enabled.

I also know that I could just use apm but acpi seems to be much better
at managing the fans, with apm they seemed to run at full speed, not
that I has been digging very much into that yet.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)