Re: NPTL support in 2.4 kernel series?

Le samedi 22 janvier 2005 à 00:38 -0800, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> Depends enforce that the depended-upon package is installed on the system --
> meaning that it's unpacked and configured.  It can *not* ensure that a
> particular kernel is running on the system.
>
> Furthermore, it is *not* required that Debian users use Debian kernel
> packages; there are a large number of users who roll their own kernels, and
> even though it's easier than ever to build packages for them using
> kernel-package, there is no requirement that they do so.

At this rate, you could tell that it is not necessary to use Debian's
libc, you can also build it yourself. Thus, packages shouldn't depend on
libc6, as the user may have installed its own libc.

The kernel packages in sarge have nothing in common with what we used to
have a few years ago in potato. The cases where a custom kernel build is
required are uncommon now, and when it is needed, make-kpkg should be
the way to go. When a user wants a custom libc, he'll likely build his
own .debs instead of installing it by hand, why should the kernel be
different?

Also, it is true that having the kernel installed doesn't mean it's
running. However, sarge's default GRUB setup is to boot the kernel with
the greatest version. Thus, as long as no configuration files were
touched, depending on kernel-image-2.6 is enough to ensure a 2.6 kernel
is installed and will be running at the next reboot. Just like depending
on portmap is enough to have portmap installed and running, even though
the user can disable it by editing the configuration files.

> For both of these reasons, packages for userspace software do not express
> kernel requirements using the Depends: field.  This is not something that
> you should be changing unilaterally without first getting a consensus in the
> Debian development community that this is the direction we want to go.

I think we are already headed this way. The kernel should be handled
just like other packages, and huge progress has already been made in
this direction so far.