Re: NPTL support in 2.4 kernel series?

On 2005-01-22 Martin Kittel <debian@martin-kittel.de> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler <at> downhill.at.eu.org> writes:
> > For the whole time I have been using Debian it has been accepted and
> > supported practice to _not_ use kernel-package but "make install" for
> > the kernel. Installing kernel's as .deb has always been optional.
> >
> > On a freshly installed Debian system you can happily uninstall any
> > kernel-image package because there are no[1] dependencies on it,
> > *because* installing kernels with make install is supported practice.
> > [1] Except for acouple of kernel-modules packages, which depend on a
> > specific kernel compiled with specific options selected.

> Then one might wonder what is the use of a general "Provides:
> kernel-image-xy" if one is not to use it.

No idea.

> > OTOH anybody installing glibc with make-install will get "You shot
> > yourself" on _any_ report of a problem.

> That is why I think the comparison is valid. Citing 'accepted and
> supported practice' does not change its validity, if anything then
> only whether there should be any consequences...

I do not understand. What is your reasoning? What is the "why" in "That
is why I think the comparison is valid"?

> > A debconf warning displayed conditionally in preinst and config
> > (debconf will only show it once but depending on whether
> > dpkg-preconfigure is used one or the other script will run earlier)
> > still seems to be the best way.

> I still don't like this as the only solution, because by default it
> will break the running setup of people still using 2.4
> kernels. They'll get the update installed and the package is
> broken.

No. They'll see the debconf question, select "abort installation", the
package will not be upgraded, the package will not be broken.

[...]
> It is just my opinion that the very idea of package management is to
> avoid breakage where possible and in this case having that kernel
> dependency does it.
[...]

It does not. <ad nauseam>The existence of a kernel-image does nothing
for your problem, as it does not give you any information about the
running kernel.</>
              cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"