Re: Reboot in postinst

Quoting Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > Yes. But I prefer verifying that I can login again after each ssh
> > restart. So, I want to do that _only_ if I explicitly do it. (Others may
> > disagree.)
>
> I disagree ;-)   The way it is done now, punishes lack of attention *IF* a
> ssh bug breaks it, with annoying but non-dangerous situation.  If ssh is
> not
> restarted, you are now in a dangerous situation if you forget to restart
> it.

If the system is that important to the admin, he will pay attention to such
things.  Imagine that you are upgrading ssh for some security update over the
weekend.  If your system is in some colo or other remote location where you
are unable to access it until Monday morning, then you have a problem if ssh
dies on you.

I agree with Andreas.  Even with my machine at home, I always stay logged
in to my current ssh session, restart sshd and immediately try to login agian.
If there is a problem it is immediately apparent AND I know that an action I
took caused it.  I.e., I am not trying to figure out which package's postinst
did what.  I am also left with at least one active ssh session.  I do it this
way because even at home I dislike crawling under my desk to pull the monitor
and keyboard from my workstation to plug them into my headless server.

-Roberto