Re: Reboot in postinst

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 11:03 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> On 20 Jan 2005 14:45:52 -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net>
> wrote:
> >Yes.  Debian packages are supposed to be able to be installed and
> >start working without requiring any reboots.  We've made this work
> >pretty well for libc and all kinds of hard cases; you can make it work
> >for yours too I'm sure.
>
> This prompts a question I have been wanting to ask for ages: When a
> security update for, say, libc6, libssl or libz is installed, do I
> need to restart services or not? That's one of the question you ask
> three people and get five different answers.

In fact, after any upgrade to any major libraries on your system, you
should probably reboot.

libc6 is a good example, as every application on your system will have
it loaded.  After an upgrade, only those newly started applications will
have the new libc6; the old applications will still be running with the
old libc6.  This actually means that you're using more memory because
you have both copies of libc6 mapped in, and more disk space because the
old version is still open so hasn't actually been removed from the disk
yet.

Another example is GTK+ or xlibs, if you perform any upgrade of those
you should at least log out of your session; otherwise again you've got
two sets of all the libraries in memory and on disk.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?