Re: changing architecture from any to all

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:58:24PM -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> Hypothetical situation: a compiled executable gets replaced with a shell
> script.
> Real situation: an architecture-dependent library packages gets
> replaced by an architecture-independent dummy transitional package.
Real situation: by mistake package was uploaded with Architecture: any, when
should be Architecture: all. Solution: upload package with correct
Architecture field. No other actions was required.

> As far as I can tell from my own experiments, the override file does
> not know anything about this, and apt-get upgrade/dist-upgrade are
> happy to upgrade a package whose architecture status has changed.
Indeed.

> I just want to double check to avoid an unnecessary delay in planning a
> package transition.
You can always use the experimental distribution.
First, you can test if package required additional action from archive
maintainers.
Second, experimental and unstable share override file. You can upload
package to experimental, wait for approve - if needed, then upload it
to unstable with instant result.

Cheers
	Artur
--
windows jest jak Odie - głupi jak but, cały czas się uśmiecha, a linux jak
Garfield - może i by coś zrobił, ale trzeba go najpierw do tego zmusić.