Re: possible mass bug filing: spamassassin 3

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 10:01:12PM +0200, Sven Mueller wrote:
> ??? Since when does exim4 use SA by default? AFAIK, you have to
> specifically configure it to use it. Right? If so, there should be no
> reason to remove it or for it to conflict with SA3.

Well, if I dist-upgrade my mail server so a new spamassassin comes in, my
mail setup breaks. Now, that is clearly broken, and an RC bug on some
package.

> If a program is a front-end for SA and only works if SA is installed,
> then it should keep up with any changes SA is doing to its API.

Wrong. SA should not change its API in an incompatible fashion without also
bumping its soname (ie. the package name in this case), like any other library.

> And SA3 API isn't _that_ much different from SA2.6 API for the most used
> interfaces.

In that case, it should provide a backwards-compatible interface.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/