Re: Upstream/In archive + backport changelog handling

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:34:39PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 04:23:01PM +1000, Paul Hampson wrote:
> >
> > Should I just treat the Debian archive's debian/ directory
> > as a fork from upstream (a fork from my _own_ efforts??) and
> > only record -0 stuff in upstream? I have a feeling this is the
> > best way to go, but I've just noticed that I was importing the
> > full Debian debian/changelog into the upstream debian/changelog
> > until now. >_< This also means I have to be careful to not lose
> > old changelog records in new upstream releases coming into Debian.
> >
> > And this runs counter to my plans to keep upstream and Debian's
> > debian/ directory as similar as possible.
> >
> > I'm also terribly afraid of breaking the rule about retroactively

> IMHO maintaining in the same CVS, upstream and debian-related stuff
> is a bad idea. You do risk to be out of sync in a way or another.
> You should package starting from distributed tarball, and removing
> all debian and CVS stuff if needed.

The main reason I do it this way is that some of the more important
modules in FreeRADIUS depend currently on OpenSSL, so are not DFSG
and can't go into Debian in binary. But people can grab the upstream
tarball and build it, and the packages will interact cleanly with
the Debian archive's packages as far as numbering and config handling
goes and users are happy. ^_^

I do actually build for the archive only from the released tarball,
and any further changes go into the .diff.gz (except removing RFCs)
so the stuff going into Debian is not particularly unusual, it's
more an issue relating to what I do with the upstream's debian/
directory's changelog.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.