Re: Spam in the lists out of control

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 10:49:47AM +0200, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:
> > There is a tool that does a very good job for keeping spam
> > away from your box if you're willing to put some effort in configuring it
> > (I'm not using it personally, but my boss is - with a great success) -
> > http://www.tmda.net/
>
> That looks interesting. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

tmda challenge-response is not an effective solution against spam. There
are a few reasons:

* When a spammer sends you a mail, the autoresponse you send out will
  effectively spam other people. You're saying "I don't like to be
  spammed, so I'm spamming you instead". That's annoying, at best.
* Many people (me included, but there are certainly more) do not bother
  to jump through hoops for the amazing privilege to communicate with a
  complete stranger. Requiring people to do so will indeed get you rid
  of all your spam, but it will include a fair amount of legitimate
  mail, too.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks