Re: Spam in the lists out of control

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:06:30PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:
>

> > lists.debian.org *already* runs spamassassin, and it already eliminates
> > most of the spam which is sent to the lists.
> >
> > The problem is: There is also a huge amount of spam which spamassassin
> > does not caught. Enough (IMHO) to consider seriously closing the lists.
>
> Currently listmasters provide a white list, so closing lists would make
> sense.

>From my personal experience, closing lists results in people not wanting
to post on them anymore. When I have a look there are a huge number of
valid messages coming through that are not from people in the whitelist
or subscribed to the list, whether it is because they read the list on a
news gateway, or using different emails for receiving mail traffic, and
for posting.

	Cheers,

Pasc