Re: Social Contract: Practical Implications

Matthew Garrett writes:

> Michael Poole wrote:
>
>>Then where do you get off trying to enforce the DFSG against firmware
>>blobs but not against license texts, which are used by an enormously
>>greater number of users than any firmware blob?  Calling something
>>"silly" does not excuse it as a violation of the DFSG.
>
> Failing to distribute the GPL means we don't distribute an OS. Failing
> to distribute firmware means we support a smaller set of hardware. Do
> you really see these two things as equivilent?

I did not (and do not) argue in favor of a broader DFSG.  I think the
amendment was too broad.  But I wonder why others are so two-faced
about it: they want to remove argument over whether firmware can be
distributed by Debian, but do not want to give the same treatment to a
more important set of bits.

You made your bed, now sleep in it.

Michael