Re: Security Supporting Debian Kernels in Sarge

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> wrote:
> We need to improve our kernel maintenance or it will be impossible to
> support the Linux kernel security-wise in the future.  We = Security
> Team at the moment.

I agree with what Martin has posted here.

I'd like to propose a small addition on my part.  When the current
kernel-source/kernel-image source package split was first done, the
kernel-image source packages were separated for each architecture as
they all had separate release schedules.  The separation in packaging
gave them the independence which was appropriate at the time.

Today, this is no longer the case for a number of architectures.  The
upstream kernel supports certain architectures well enough for it to
be realistic for us to build certain architectures from one source
package.

In particular, the one non-i386 architecture that I maintain, alpha,
has been supported well-enough that I see no problems in building it
from the same source package that builds the i386 kernels, without
fearing that this will delay the release of i386 kernel images in
any way.  You can see this from the changelog entries of the i386
and alpha kernel image packages.

Therefore I'd like to merge the two source packages as of the next
upstream release.  That is, both alpha and i386 kernel images will
be built from the one source package.

In itself this won't relieve the Security Team of much burden.
However, what I'd like to see is the establishment of a set of
architectures which we can call the "first class" architectures.
They are the ones that are kept up-to-date enough upstream for
synchronised releases with i386 to be possible without causing
unacceptable delay on the i386 kernel images.

Such architectures can then be built from one single source package.
By my reckoning we might be able to do this for four architectures.
That would be a significant decrease in the work load for the
Security Team.

Furthermore, we could then group the other architectures into a
"second class" source package.  This would mean that they will
be slowed down to the release schedule of the slowest architecture.
If (that's a pretty big if) this were acceptable to all the
maintainers, then it would reduce the number of kernel-image source
packages (and the number of kernel-source packages that we have to
support) to exactly two.

Cheers,