Re: discussion of mass-filing for autoconf macro quote warnings

Hi Adam,

Adam Heath wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Henning Makholm wrote:

Scripsit Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org>

Example output follows:

Package: libgsl0
Version: 1.4-4

5: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GSL

Is '5' a line number? If so, where is the file name? Presumably
usr/share/aclocal/gsl.m4.

Hmm, right, bug in script, minor, easy to fix.

But why does libgsl0 provide /usr/share/aclocal/gsl.m4 in the first
place? Shouldn't that be in the -dev package?

That's another issue, which I don't care about right now.  I just want a quite
build chain.

When hacking on kaffe's build system recently, I automatically fixed quite a few of those automake warnings by simply copying each foo.m4 macro over to a separate directory, naming it configure.ac. Then autoupdate from automake 1.8.3 would take care of broken quotes for me, and I'd copy the fixed configure.ac back to my m4/foo.m4 file.

Then I'd try to regenerate the whole configure build system, and compare the configure script with the one I started with. If there were no changes, or just added or removed lines, I'd check it in.

Note that you really have to check the configure scripts after running autoupdate. Autoupdate has a few bugs of its own, and can mangle extraordinary m4 files badly, resulting in a corrupted configure script. For example, never attempt to run it on libtool.m4 :)

cheers,
dalibor topic