Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 11:46:51AM +0200, Nik wrote:
> I actually tried my luck with Debian first. So why did I turn to Gentoo?
>
> Well, because the Debian install process was simply horrible. I do NOT want to
> fiddle with jigdo and the likes. I want to download an ISO or a webinstall CD
> and be done with it. So I got myself the unstable webinstall ISO and popped
> into my drive. It forced me to install LILO. I HATE lilo. The thing has no
> business being on my drive. I expect grub as an option. And why does it force
> me to install a bootloader anyway? Gentoo never does that. I could happily
> keep my grub that I still have from Suse.

What's the webinstall ISO? It doesn't seem to be something that Debian
provides. Is the install process the same, or has it been tweaked and
that's why you had problems?

I don't think the pre-sarge installer (boot-floppies) ever forced you to
install any boot loader.

> And as far as documentation goes: Gentoo has a beautiful step by step manual
> on how to get the system up and running. You don't even have to dig for it.
> It is right there for you. Could not say the same about Debian. Debian rather
> tells you that they do not need a beginner like you.

Come on. Do you think that a system that insists on compiling everything
from source on every upgrade is suitable for linux beginners?

Hamish