Re: run debian off usb flash drive

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 03:54:00PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:

> On my laptop 310M of data have been written over the last 15 hours (since the
> last boot).  I have not done any compiles, none of the big cron jobs have
> been run, and I have not done my daily update to unstable.
>
> At my current level of use if I had 20 free blocks I could expect an error
> after a year.

As another data point, I have a router which runs Debian from a jffs2
filesystem on a flash device, with various configuration changes to minimize
writes, and it has written about 33M since boot (47 days), or about
732kb/day.  During this time, I performed various administration tasks,
including installing a package or two with dpkg.  At this rate, even with
only one free block (which would be erased 6 times per day), I could expect
the device to be obsolete long before its flash media gives out.  In
reality, there are several hundred free blocks, and so I am not worried.

--
 - mdz