Re: broken package dependencies, surgery on package database

Here are samples from running dpkg --purge:

able:/home/rcw# dpkg --purge lm-sensors-2.4.23
dpkg: error processing lm-sensors-2.4.23 (--purge):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you
should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 lm-sensors-2.4.23

able:/home/rcw# dpkg --purge i2c-2.4.23
dpkg: error processing i2c-2.4.23 (--purge):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you
should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 i2c-2.4.23

If I run dselect, and select these packages for
removal/purge, I get a similar error message saying
the packages should be reinstalled. Of course I no
longer have the original .debs.

The force options of dpkg don't help either.

Richard

--- Oliver Kurth <okurth@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 15:05, Richard Weil wrote:
>
> > I compiled the 2.4.23 kernel and alsa, i2c and
> > lm-sensors using kernel-package to make .debs.
> Since
> > I'm now a couple of kernels further along, I
> selected
> > all of the packages for removal (purge actually)
> > during a dselect upgrade. The kernel and alsa were
> > removed, but i2c and lm-sensors were left in a
> broken
> > state. With these packages broken, I could no
> longer
> > use dselect or aptitude -- they kept getting hung
> up
> > on the problem packages.
> >
> > I recomplied the 2.4.23 kernel, alsa, i2c and
> > lm-sensors and reinstalled them, thinking I might
> then
> > be able to remove them in the correct order. No
> go. I
> > have tried all of the various dpkg permutations
> I'm
> > aware of (from man page) to remove or otherwise
> > un-break these packages. Still a no go.
>
> What exactly happens when you try
> dpkg --purge
> on those packages?
>
> > So, is there a way for me to directly manipulate
> the
> > package database to remove all traces of these
> > packages? Can I go into /var/lib/dpkg and edit
> certain
> > files so that at least dselect will no longer
> hang?
>
> Greetings,
> Oliver

name=signature.asc