The political decision about non-free (Was: Re: Vote for April 1st?)

Hi,

This voting is about a political decision. The technical changes implied
by removing or not non-free support aren't big.

There are four major focuses on this issue:
1 - The GFDL imcompability with DFSG.
2 - The support for hardware with closed specs (i.e. nvidia)
3 - The support for non-free file types (i.e. gif)
4 - Non-free software just because it's non-free.

I understand the decision of dropping the support for non-free section
as a political choice of making pressure (like the "pressure groups"  (i
don't know if this is the correct translation) described by Gramsci) on
the focuses described above. That's completely normal in a group like
Debian. The question is:

Does Debian have the strength to take a fight like that? I think that
for points 1 and 4 it has, but I'm not sure about points 2 and 3.

Voting for dropping or maintaining the support for non-free is assuming
that Debian has or has not the political strength to take this fight.
Considering that we never can see how strong a group is, that's all
about feeling (See the GNU's history as a lesson).

daniel